Making your own supplement capsules is a great way to ensure that you’re getting the right amount of each vitamin or mineral, and it’s also an easy way to save money. If you have kids who take supplements and are always running out, this is an excellent way to ensure they always have their daily dose.
If you want to learn how to make your own supplement capsules at home, then this article will show you how!
Tools and Equipment Needed
To make your own supplements, you will need:
- A capsule filling machine (in German: “Kapselfüller 00”). This is the most important tool for making your own capsules. There are many options available on Amazon and other sites, but I use this one because it’s affordable, has one of the best designs available and is easy to use: Kapselfüller 00.
- Empty capsules (I recommend size 00). You can buy these at any health food store–or order them online if they don’t sell them locally!
- Supplements of choice! I like using flaxseed oil or coconut oil as my base ingredient because they’re both healthy fats with no flavor or odor that might interfere with whatever supplements we’re putting inside our capsules
Using the Capsule Filling Machine
To use the capsule filling machine, you’ll need:
- A capsule filling machine / Kapselfüller 00
- Capsules that are the right size for your supplement powder. You can get these at most health food stores or online.
- Your favorite supplement powder in powder form, which you can buy online or at a local health food store.
Making the Supplement Capsules
In this section, we’ll walk you through the process of making your own supplement capsules at home.
First, gather all of the ingredients and tools that you’ll need to complete this task:
- The supplement powder(s) that you want to encapsulate (e.g., vitamin C powder)
- Empty gelatin capsules (the size depends on what kind of supplements you’re using)
- A funnel or dropper for filling the capsules with liquid ingredients like fish oil or digestive enzymes
- A small bowl or cup for mixing powders together if needed
Tips and Tricks
- If you’re having trouble getting the capsules to stay together, try adding more beeswax.
- If your capsules are too hard to open, try adding more coconut oil or olive oil.
- If they’re too soft and won’t hold their shape when you press them into the mold, add less liquid stevia and/or vitamin E oil (if using).
Cost Savings, Customization, and Quality Control
There are a number of benefits to making your own supplement capsules at home. First, it’s cheaper than buying them from the store. The cost savings can be significant, especially if you’re taking multiple supplements every day.
Secondly, making your own supplements allows for customization and quality control that isn’t possible when purchasing pre-made capsules off the shelf. For example, if you have food allergies or sensitivities that may cause problems with certain ingredients in store-bought supplements (such as gluten), then making them yourself can be safer because you know exactly what went into each capsule before they were sealed shut by an industrial machine at the factory where they were produced.
Potential Safety Concerns and Side Effects
There are a few potential safety concerns and side effects to be aware of when taking supplements in capsule form. If you have any of the following conditions, it’s important to discuss your plans with your doctor before starting:
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Diabetes or hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
So you’ve learned how to make your own supplement capsules at home. Now it’s time for the big question: should you?
If you’re looking for a way to save money on supplements, this is definitely an option. It can also be a fun project that helps teach kids about nutrition and health. However, if cost isn’t an issue and convenience is important to you (for example, if you’re traveling or don’t have access to a good blender), then buying pre-made supplements may be better suited for your needs.
In conclusion: making your own capsules provides an opportunity for creativity and self-expression while saving money over time!
Now that you know how to make your own supplement capsules at home, what are you waiting for? Try it out and let us know how it goes in the comments section or on social media!