It goes without saying that no man made object can run forever without maintenance. Even the venerable B-52 airplanes first put to the skies 60 years ago need regular maintenance. Nuclear reactors in power plants and warships can run for years at a time but without maintenance a disaster is certain to happen.
Now apply this same logic to your heating system which uses heating oil. The system is safe and reliable but without maintenance it will fail. In this article we have put together a quick checklist of things you can do to ensure your system lasts a long time and runs efficiently.
- Get regular tune-ups. Your heating oil system should be tuned up at least once a year by a qualified technician. This will help to ensure that your system is running efficiently and that any potential problems are caught early. Anything with oil should be tuned up or it will certainly fai.
- Keep your system clean. Over time, your heating oil system can build up dirt and dust. This can reduce efficiency and make it more likely that your system will break down. To help keep your system clean, you should vacuum the interior of your furnace or boiler regularly. It doesn’t have to be squeaky clean, just clean enough.
- Seal any leaks. Even small leaks can waste heating oil and make your system less efficient. To check for leaks, you can use a soapy solution to spray around the joints and seals of your system. If you see any bubbles, there is a leak that needs to be fixed.
- Insulate your home. Proper insulation can help to keep your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer. This can help to reduce your heating and cooling costs, which can also save you money on heating oil. Insulation these days is very affordable and can even be sprayed into openings by a professional.
- Weatherize your home. Weatherizing your home can help to keep the heat in during the winter and the cool air in during the summer. This can also help to reduce your heating and cooling costs, which can also save you money on heating oil.
Heating Oil is safe and usually fairly affordable. For instance, heating oil in Lynchburg, Va. can last an entire winter on one tank if you have the perfect set up and perform regular maintenance. It’s up to you how your system runs.