10 warning signs of mold toxicity

10 warning signs of mold toxicity

Health & Fitness

Molds can be found everywhere, so avoiding them is impossible. They mostly go about their business recycling plant matter and being a part of the circle of life. On the other hand, sometimes they find a warm place to live and start growing, which is terrible for people’s health. There are many types of molds and mold toxins. This piece will talk about what molds are, what mold toxicity is, how to avoid it, and how to get better after getting it. 

Many kinds of molds produce poisonous chemicals called mycotoxins, which can cause a wide range of health problems. If exposed to these mycotoxins, you can get mold poisoning, also called mycotoxicosis. Mycotoxins can have different intensity levels depending on the type of mold exposure, the length of time it took, the specific mycotoxins present, and the person’s health. 

10 warning signs of mold toxicity

Mold poisoning signs must be understood to be found and treated quickly, as long-term exposure to mold can lead to several health problems, some of which can be serious if not treated right away. There are 10 common warning signs to look out for, though the symptoms can differ for each person.

1. Being tired and weak

If you regularly feel tired or weak, it could be a sign of mold poisoning. Mold spores can get into the lungs through the nose and cause pneumonia. This makes it hard to get enough air, which makes people tired and weak all the time. Mycotoxins worsen mitochondrial function and increase oxidant damage, making you tired. 

2. Headaches or migraines that don’t go away

Headaches or migraines that occur often may indicate that you are exposed to mold. Mold can cause headaches, which can be caused by exposure to it and an immune reaction to it. Headaches may go away after leaving a moldy area. 

3. Problems with sleep

For people allergic to mold, insomnia can mean having trouble falling asleep, waking up during the night, and sleeping less overall. 

4. Problems with the brain and nerves

Mycotoxins can hurt your nervous system over time, causing problems like memory loss, dizziness, and trouble keeping your balance. They can also cause much worse problems like neuropathy, dementia, and lower cognitive and neuropsychological function. (Source 1, Source 2, Source 3)

5. Changes in thoughts and mood

Mold may cause mood changes, such as depression and worry, by affecting the way neurotransmitters work in the brain. It is thought that mycotoxins mess up regular brain functions and lower the production of neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine, which can cause mood swings. 

6. Problems with the sinuses

People who have been exposed to mold often have stuffy noses and sinuses. They may also get allergic fungal sinusitis. You might even smell the musty, wet smell of the mold inside. 

7. Problems with breathing

Mold spores can worsen asthma and asthma attacks, especially in people allergic to mold or already having breathing problems. Mold and mycotoxins can also cause or worsen bronchitis and hypersensitivity pneumonitis. Hypersensitivity pneumonitis is a rare immune disease that makes the lungs swell.

8. Problems with the intestines

When breathed in or eaten, the mycotoxins that molds produce can hurt the digestive system. It has been shown that many mycotoxins change the gut bacteria in a bad way and make the intestinal barrier less effective. This can cause signs like feeling sick, having stomach pain, throwing up, intestinal bleeding, or diarrhea, and it can also make it harder for the body to absorb nutrients. There may also be changes in weight and hunger.

9. Joint pain and aches in the muscles

Muscle and joint pain may happen after being around mold. When a fungal infection spreads to a joint or joint, it can cause fungal arthritis. Eating mold can result in this uncommon illness. Fungal arthritis is typically brought on by a fungus that enters a joint through an injury or surgical procedure. However, an infection from breathing in mold could make its way to a joint and cause pain, swelling, and inflammation. This illness is dangerous, mainly for people whose immune systems aren’t working well.

10. Allergic reactions

Mycotoxin exposure can lead to allergic responses, also known as hypersensitivity reactions. These can include eczema, allergic fungal sinusitis, watery eyes, itchy skin and throat, and itchy throat. People whose immune systems aren’t working well are more likely to get allergic reactions quickly after touch or exposure.


The time it takes to show signs after mold exposure can vary greatly. If you are allergic to mold, you might feel sick within a few hours. However, the effects of mold poisoning can take longer to show up—days or weeks. It’s not always easy to say precisely when and for how long exposure happened. You should see a doctor if you have any of these symptoms, especially if they don’t go away or worsen in certain places. If you know the possible signs of mold poisoning, you can find the problem and take steps to fix it. 


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *